**Introducing: THE SCARF. The traveling scarf begins its journey over on my blog. Be sure to check back to see where it goes next! :)
When I was a kid, I loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books. I mean loved. My friends and I read the books together in middle school and I don’t know about them, but I always longed to have a pair of pants to share. Instead we settled for sharing the book. Close enough, right?
Well it has been ten years since I first read those books and fell in love with Tibby, Bridget, Lena, and Carmen, but I finally have the chance to have a traveling… something. A scarf! I work with some scarf-tastic ladies who just happen to (also) have a tingly nostalgia for those books from our teenage years. (They say we are the nostalgic generation right?) So we decided to start the “Sisterhood of the Traveling Scarf”… with a bit of 21st-century Internet flair.
Here are the rules for our scarf:
1. You can keep the scarf for eight days. The scarf must then be passed on to a fellow blogger you deem crafty, fashionable, and all-around fabulous.
2. During your eight days, add a small and crafty decoration to the scarf. Be tasteful. Be clever. Make sure it represents you. ♥ ♥ ♥
I added two things to the scarf– first these little flowers. I burned the edges of the fabric like I did in this tutorial and then I stitched the little guys to the scarf with a turquoise bead. I’ve always loved the look of grey and yellow together. :)
I also added these little embroideries to the scarf. On one side of the scarf I stitched Scarves.net and on the other I stitched “Sisterhood of the Traveling Scarf.” My fancy-dancy little sewing machine is always coming in super handy. (Thanks Mom!) :D
3. During your eight days, you must wear the scarf whenever possible. Take photos with it! Show how the traveling scarf spent time with you. (The scarf is a total photo-hog.) ;)
4. You must share your adventures with the scarf on your blog. Show your best photos, talk about what you added to the scarf and why.
5. The 15th blogger to receive the scarf must send the scarf back to Scarves.net to go into scarf hibernation. (Scarfbernation. The scarf totally hates summer. Blech!)
6. Any and all contents you recieve in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Scarf package should be passed on to the next member of the sisterhood. Feel free to add trinkets, notes, and surprises, but don’t take any away. (Gotta let the next gal feel the love!) :)
7. You must track the scarf’s journey on the enclosed map. Put a dot on your hometown with your initials. Add a trail from where it came from to where you are located.
(The bag and the map. With my dot in ze middle of Indiana. :))
8. You must write on the Sisterhood of the Traveling Scarf’s bag detailing the most exciting thing that happened to you while wearing the scarf.
Want to know what happened to me? I was taking that photo above, and a TRAIN started coming. A TRAIN! Trains never come! What the heck? I was just fiddling with my tripod and then I looked up to see lights about a half-mile away. I scurried off those tracks super fast.
9. You can let your cat lay on the scarf, but dog drool is just gross. (Totally still love my dog. Her breath is horrendous though.)
10. No showering in the scarf. (No microwaving of le scarf either.) Hehe.
11. Don’t let anyone outside of the sisterhood wear the scarf. (Especially if you have a pet goat.) Now we’re just getting ridiculous, right? :)
12. You MUST look chic and sassy while wearing the scarf. But of course, you always look that way. ;)
(Failure to comply with these governing rules will result in bad scarf karma and bad hair days for a year. (OMG no! The horror!)
♥ The Sisterhood of the Traveling Scarf XOXO :)
So what’s next for the scarf? Well, it is going to go around to the next scarf lady, Sarah! Then to Maggie, and then to (another) Sarah. After it passes through these scarf ladies in the office, we feel that the scarf is ready to branch out in the blogosphere. To be released into the web wild. To spread its scarfy wings and fly! (I’m done, I’m done.)
Remember: Scarf=Love. Love your pals. Love yourself.
PS: The scarf we used is currently sold out, but this grey scarf is very similar. :)