4 Ways to Tie a Scarf (Sailor Style!)
When it comes to springtime, you can always expect a few things — like drizzly rainstorms, buoyant moods, and nautical-inspired fashions. What better way to express the arrival of spring than with a few nautical scarf knots? We’ve rounded up some sailor scarf styles to help you sail towards warm weather and those delicious park picnics. ;)
How to tie the Angler’s Knot:
- With a long rectangle scarf, start by placing the scarf on the back of your neck.
- Bring both sides of the scarf around the front of your neck, and criss-cross them across your chest towards your back again.
- Then, you will cross-cross the scarf across the back of your neck once more.
- By now, the criss-crossed scarf at the front of your neck has formed two “loops.” Pull one of the loops next to your neck down a bit to loosen it up, and slip the closest end of the scarf through, letting the remainder of the scarf hang down your chest.
- Repeat the same on the other side, and you’ve got the “Angler’s Knot!”
How to tie the Mermaid Loop:
- You’ll need two scarves for the “Mermaid Loop.”
- With your base scarf, fold it in half horizontally, and place the scarf around the back of your neck with a loop on one side.
- Pull one of the ends through the loop, twist the loop, and pull the other side through as well. (Similar to the Four-in-Hand.)
- Then, place an infinity scarf on top, and you’re good to go!
How to tie the Fisherman’s Coil:
- For those days when you don’t want the ends of your scarf billowing in the salty sea breeze, the “Fisherman’s Coil” is the perfect scarf knot. Center a lightweight scarf at the back of your neck, and let the ends hang down the front of your chest.
- Loop the scarf once around your neck, so that the loop drapes near the center of your chest.
- Starting on one side, wrap one end of the scarf around the loop. Go around and around until you reach the end, and tuck it in.
- Repeat for the other side. You should have a coil-like result!
How to tie the Double Monkey Fist:
- And finally, a sophisticated knot with a quirky name. To tie the “Double Monkey Fist,” you will need an infinity scarf.
- Start by placing it around your neck, and letting it hang down the front of you.
- Then, make a simple knot near your neck (as if you’re wearing a tie!).
- With the remainder of the dangling scarf, tie up another knot. That’s it!
And, as always, if you’re looking for countless other ways to tie a scarf, be sure to check out our Master List of Scarf Knots and The Knot Library! Here’s to a breezy spring full of flower buds, strolls on the beach, voyages in the schooner, and scarf-tastic knots. ;)
There's no place like home! Take me back to ScarvesDotNet.